It’s amazing how sometimes the simplest of foods can be so delicious. Take for example, these plain rice cakes/dduk that are made out of just rice flour, water and salt.
There are several different Korean dishes that you can make with rice cakes but this is a quick and easy recipe that can be made in 5 minutes – a perfect afternoon snack for kids!
These extra long and extra thick rice cakes can be bought usually at your local Korean grocery store or specialty dduk shop. The one one the left is made with plain white rice flour and on the ones on the right are made with brown rice flour.Ingredients:
-Several extra thick and long rice cakes/dduk
– 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of sesame seed oil
Heat a non-skillet pan with 1 1/2 tablespoon of sesame seed oil over medium heat
& evenly spread out the oil.
Making sure the dduk pieces are dry, gently drop into pan.
Fry for about 5 minutes on each side until crispy and golden. I like to take a turner and gently roll them around.
Make sure to keep a watch so that they don’t burn.
Cool & Serve!
Just look at that crispy and golden skin – doesn’t it make you want to take a bite?
You can eat it plain but my favorite way to eat it is to dip it in sugar.
Or roll it in some cinnamon & sugar.
- Several extra thick and long rice cakes/dduk
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of sesame seed oil
- Optional: Add 1 teaspoon of GF soy sauce & 1 teaspoon of sugar last 2 minutes of frying
- Heat a non-skillet pan with 1 1/2 tablespoon of sesame seed oil over medium heat evenly spread out the oil.
- Making sure the dduk pieces are dry, gently drop into pan.
- Fry for about 5 minutes on each side until crispy and golden.
- Serve plain or dip in sugar or sugar & cinnamon.